Pages

October 3, 2012

Time To Get Cozy

All year long I've been a little disappointed with the empty space that is our home.  But when you're on a budget, it makes decorating kinda hard.  Working with what you have on hand and around the house requires creativity and patience; one with which I like to think I have some of and the other with which I have zero!  To say the least, it's been an ongoing battle between these large walls and me.
 
Autumn is my favorite season.  A time for cozy sweaters, shorter days, changing colors, and yummy spices.  A time to get my act together and make this home Fall ready!
 
After decorating and undecorating these two walls time and time again, I finally found something that gives the room a more comfortable feel.


 
It's amazing what you can make with some foamboard, old book pages, and Mod Podge.  Just trace your letters onto foamboard or cardboard, cut out, and cover with book pages, scrapbooking paper, or anything else you might have using Mod Podge.  The frames I found at the Dollar Store, I took out the glass for a more subdued look.
 

 
Originally I made these negative film strip frames to hang solely on the wall, but of course, the wall dwarfed them. Then I thought..."Oh!  I have that painting that would be glorious in this room next to those!"  The painting is one of my favorites and up until yesterday, I thought my husband despised it.  That's why it was always hung out of sight, but to my surprise he didn't make a smart alec comment about it being there!  Apparently he likes it.
 
These frames I also found at the Dollar Store.  I always ask myself why I save things like these negative film strips, because seriously, when will I ever need them.  What can I say, I am my mom; but guess what, I used them, just like I thought I would!  I stained a piece of cream colored card stock with used coffee grounds to give the background an antiqued look.

No comments:

Post a Comment