Pages

September 27, 2012

Burlap Wreath

Wreaths are a great way to decorate; the front door, an empty wall, for every season, holiday, or special event.  With a million and one different ways to embellish a wreath and seeing them everywhere with the upcoming seasons, I was itching to try something!
 
Most wreaths are made using a foam ring, blah.  I didn't have one on hand and didn't plan on running to the store to spend money on something so frivolous.  So I decided to get crafty.  My first thought was to head outside to raid mother nature of her fresh branches and form my own.  But I didn't feel like going on a treasure hunt at the time.  I do, however, still plan on using that first thought, eventually.  My second thought, a wire coat hanger and burlap!
 
 
This wreath is fairly simple to make and takes no time at all, so let's get started.  First, form the wreath with the wire hanger and leave it open ended.  After fudging and bending to get the perfect circle, cut 4" wide strips of burlap.  Pull a thread from the middle of the strip to ruffle your fabric.
 
 
Next, thread the burlap onto the wire, accordian style, pushing the burlap around the circle as you go.  Fill the wire until desired fullness.
Note: The length of my burlap was 64" long and I needed 3 strips to fill the wire for a full look after ruffling.
 
 
Twist the ends of the wire together to make an enclosed circle.  You'll have to play with the burlap a little to cover up the showing wire.
Lastly, I made some paper flowers from old book pages, glued them to a piece of cardboard, and attached a clothespin to the back for easy removal from the wreath.  This way, I can make an embellishment for different seasons and holidays without having to make a new wreath!

Here's the How To for the paper flowers.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment