Pages

September 4, 2012

An Array of Texture Tuesday, Bib Cover

Welcome back to another Tuesday filled with layers and layers of texture!  Today I will be using some fabric scraps to change the look of a dress, so that maybe I'll want to wear it.  I received this dress as a hand-me-down over a couple of years ago (I also have one in black).  I love the style and fit of the dress but never wear it because I try to avoid wearing anything with a label and as you've probably noticed, I'm not much of a skater.


The style of this dress reminds me of relaxed summer fashion and a nautical look is what came to mind, so I just went with it.  I knew to cover up the label I'd need to put a bib style of some sort on it, but I also wanted to add character to the dress, so pleats were a must:

 
I frayed all of the edges of the fabric, then I pressed the pleats into place, and sewed right above the fold for a crisp look.
At this point I thought it needed something more...sailorish!  I grabbed some navy blue scraps and whipped up a small ruffle to line the bottom with (sorry about the limited pictures).  The tricky part was attaching the bib to an elastic neckline.  I pinned the bib to the fabric right under the elastic as it was stretched out and sewed it into place.  As you can see in the picture below, it shapes with the elastic when it's relaxed.  However, when it's being worn you don't notice it because it's stretched out.

To finish the look, I attached two buttons on one side of the bib.

Here is the finished look!  Now, if someone could navigate me towards the ocean...

I found my way to the ocean once before, nine months pregnant:  here is the same dress in black, worn as a maternity dress because it was super comfy!  If only I had thought of this before.


No comments:

Post a Comment