Pages

June 25, 2012

Burlap Placemats

Ever since I've been home I've been avoiding my sewing room.  Mainly because it's a disaster and partly because I didn't want to start another project .  I think the scrap project wiped me out!  It definitely served its purpose in keeping me busy, but it was quite exhausting.  Between entertaining a toddler, finishing a project, and writing about it, all I really wanted to do was sleep.  Honestly, I don't know how people can blog everyday and maintain a household...  But I'm trying!

So after a long and exhausting day of weeding and prepping my future garden, a nice family run, and breaking my back helping Sawyer walk (don't get me wrong, it's a joy to help my boy learn, but really I can't wait until he takes off on his own; ...I say that now), I decided I should probably make something....something effortless.  Digging into my hoarded stash of burlap, placemats seemed pretty easy.

I've been seeing this No. style everywhere and I really wanted to make something using them, so this was perfect!

With no sewing required, I cut out four pieces of burlap measuring 18 x 13 and frayed the edges.  I sprayed the placemats with starch and ironed them for a crisp finish and then hand painted the numbers on with fabric paint.  You can use a stencil if it's easier, but I like to eyeball.  Really, that's it!


No comments:

Post a Comment