Pages

May 28, 2012

Chiffon

Chiffon is a lightweight, sheer fabric that is commonly used in evening wear, blouses, ribbons, scarves, and lingerie.  It is made with a plain weave and has a slightly rough texture.  Since chiffon is such a light fabric it frays easily and is very slippery which makes it difficult to work with.

I absolutely adore the black chiffon dinner dress Betty Grable is wearing in this photo.  The sheer, puffed sleeves are simply gorgeous, the v-neck is modest but sexy, it has a nice long, flowing hem, and the wrapped ribbon is a beautiful added accessory; everything about this dress is just plain elegant.

I would love to attempt a replica of this dress someday.  Funny, because I told my husband that I would never work with chiffon again after I made my girlfriend's wedding skirt last year (which I blogged about in tailored for you), but I have so much of it left over that I am constantly playing and experimenting with it.  Yeah, he always makes fun of me because I get so frustrated with it, but the outcome of a beautiful garment is all worth it!

No comments:

Post a Comment